For the first time in two decades, “Torpies Cottage”, is being presented to the market; circa early 1900’s this highset Queensland-style home, arguably Deagon’s most iconic, has a proud history, built by businessman and local pioneer Thomas Torpie…this gracious old Queenslander has been an attractive, traditional fixture on the changing Deagon landscape.
Beautifully restored and maintained by its current owners of 20 years; the home features all the period features that make this vintage of property so beloved and charming, including 10-foot high ceilings, VJ walls, decorative cast iron on verandas, claw foot bath, timber floors, French doors, original windows, dado rails, fretwork, and stained-glass insets.
With the living all on the upper level and an expansive workspace/storage area under, the home is complete with three or four bedrooms, one-bathroom, large timber kitchen with stainless steel 900mm Lofra gas cooktop and oven, two separate living areas plus office workspace/salon/4th bedroom, front and rear covered decks, and a delightful fully air-conditioned, powered, and enclosed outdoor gazebo.
The block is fully fenced with a picket fence at front plus side access through to backyard, and cemented pad to park two cars in tandem; there is a paved area at front of home for a third car and grassy child/pet friendly yard at rear.
Mr Torpie was a grocer and an active community-minded citizen; he lived in this home he built beside his first shop in Deagon for many years before it was eventually sold to a private buyer. It still has all the charm, warmth and grace of yesteryear, whilst offering comfortable living with all the contemporary essentials. The integrity of this truly special home has not been compromised over time…it remains a shining example of the quality and timelessness of its era.
Located within walking distance to the train station connecting you straight into Brisbane’s CBD, and just a short drive to Sandgate foreshore, 13 minutes’ drive to Brisbane Airport, and approximately 27 minutes into the city centre; major amenities, employment and educational hubs are easily accessed.
Current owners have been blessed to call this home their own for twenty years, their haven; now it’s time for someone else to embrace “Torpies Cottage” and create their own cherished memories and continue the tradition…
FEATURE POINTS WE LOVE:
• Iconic Deagon home, circa early 1900’s
• ‘Torpies Cottage’, beautifully presented
• Highset Queenslander with a proud history
• 3 or 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, plus study or 4th bed
• 2 separate living areas + enclosed gazebo
• Large timber kitchen, Lofra gas cooktop & oven
• Front & rear deck, decorative cast iron
• 10-foot ceilings, timber floors, French doors
• Claw foot bath, VJ walls with picture rails, original windows
• Air-conditioning, storage/workshop under
• Tandem parking for 2 cars + another single car & side access
• Fully fenced low maintenance block
• Walk to rail to CBD, 13 mins to Airport
• Traditional period home, charm shines
• Current owners have held for 20 years!